FYI works with 700 children and teens across 6 program sites after school, in-school, and over the summer.
- The Welcome Program for elementary school students at the PS 128 Audubon School in Washington Heights offered after school and during the summer
- Middle and high school programs offered after school and during the summer at our headquarters on 171st Street between Amsterdam and Audubon Avenues
- Afterschool middle school program at the Amistad Dual Language School in Inwood
- NYC DOE "College Access for All" at MS 319 and IS 143
- COMPASS High (Dept. of Youth & Community Development) advisory program for high school students at the Gregorio Luperon High School for Math, Science, and Engineering
FYI builds a college-going ethos, guiding young people throughout their academic careers. FYI staff provides support through the tough transitions from middle to high school, and high school to college with the Aspire Program. Our afterschool programs offer homework help, tutoring, and computers for research and homework. Summer programs ensure that students keep up with their academics and return to school in September ready to learn.
FYI’s menu of Community Service projects helps young people develop a sense of belonging, while building their confidence and skills. Young people become empowered to be positive forces in their community and in their own lives.
New and Positive Experiences
We expose our youth to a broad range of new and positive experiences that expand their horizons. We want to be sure that they know the world is bigger than the block they live on, and that they are a part of that broader world. How do we do it? Mostly simple, yet high-impact experiences like: trips around our amazing city; cooking and eating a new dish; going away to Camp Scatico for a weekend out of the city; and so much more!
Social Emotional Learning
Research shows that strong social emotional skills are essential to lifelong success. FYI infuses all of our activities with evidence-based practices that promote young people's self motivation, resilience, social awareness, and cultural identities.